Discover Washington, Hamilton, the American Revolution, and the early United States in New York City
Hamilton & Washington: Secrets of the Past – New York City Walking Tour. This tour is the perfect complement to the musical, Hamilton, by Lin-Manuel Miranda based on the biography Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow. This tour will provide you with even greater insight and understanding of the people, events and situations of the Broadway show. Come join us and you’ll hear amazing stories, see reproductions of paintings and images of events, and experience awe-inspiring and little-known locations and objects that helped shape what America is today.
New York City, the most iconic city in the world, is home to more than 240 years of rich American history. Few stories are more powerful, influential and moving than that of the partnership between founding fathers George Washington and Alexander Hamilton before, during and after the American Revolution.
On this immersive walking tour, experience American history as you never have before, on the streets where it happened, and through the lives of the first commander-in-chief and president, George Washington, and orphaned immigrant turned Secretary of the Treasury, Alexander Hamilton. These are two men who were truly indispensable in guiding and shaping the destiny of the United States. You’ll also discover lesser-known people in the narrative of the United States and the critical roles that women and African Americans played in fulfilling the founding vision of the nation.
We invite you to join one of the most unique and exciting walking tours the city has to offer. Together we’ll venture through the streets of New York to recapture unforgettable moments in the story of the United States, such as British colonial times, the Sons of Liberty resistance, the devastating Battle of Brooklyn, Hamilton’s early days as a courageous and valiant new patriot, Washington’s emotional farewell to his troops, triumphant return, and inauguration on Wall Street, and the development of Hamilton’s brilliant monetary policies that would forever shape the American economy. Please see the current TripAdvisor reviews.
Through fascinating stories along our engaging walk in the Hamilton & Washington Walking Tour NYC, you’ll be drawn into the past as you learn about:
- The earlier North American war that led to the epic Revolutionary War
- The first New York reading of the Declaration of Independence on July 9, 1776, and the mob protest that followed
- George Washington’s daring and miraculous nighttime river retreat
- The famous tavern where Washington led a moving farewell
- The deception of Washington’s Culper Spy Ring
- The moving inauguration of George Washington
- African Americans in the Revolutionary War
- Alexander Hamilton’s prolific 100,000 words in the Federalist Papers that secured ratification of the Constitution
- The resting place of Alexander Hamilton and his wife Eliza
- Women’s contributions and service to the Patriot cause
- The splendid 18th-century chapel where Washington attended services
- The conflict behind the infamous duel with Vice President Aaron Burr
. . . and so much more!